What I can help with

Members of Parliament are elected to the House of Commons to represent the interests and concerns of all the people who live in their constituency. Whether you voted for me, someone else, or didn’t vote, I will always do my best to provide you the best possible representation in Parliament.

The type of things I can help with are, but not limited to:

  • Durham County Council queries
  • NHS complaints
  • Housing: Contacting your housing association or Durham Key Options
  • Home Office: such as following up on visa/passport applications
  • Liaising with government departments: I can write to government departments and officials on your behalf
  • HMRC
  • Raising an issue in Parliament
  • Social Security and Pensions: such as Personal Independence Payments and Universal Credit

In addition, I will always do my best to signpost constituents to the most appropriate organisation if your query falls out of my remit as an MP.

Please note, however, that I can’t intervene in commercial or private disputes, or issues going through the courts; nor can I offer business, financial or legal advice. This is a longstanding convention that MPs must abide by.

Due to parliamentary protocol, I can only act on behalf of constituents who contact me directly. This means that if you would like your MP to act on behalf of a family member, that family member will need to contact me directly. This is necessary as I must work to the principles of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). I also can’t act on behalf of people who aren’t in the City of Durham constituency. If you’re unsure who your MP is, you can find out here: https://members.parliament.uk/FindYourMP

Parliament has now been dissolved until the General Election.  Therefore there are currently no Members of Parliament.